ST. RITA SCHOOL PREKINDERGARTEN
Our PreK program is geared to the world of three and four year olds. Through interactive games, dramatic play, songs, literature and activities, children explore themselves, their families, friends, world ….and celebrate all their differences.
The program offers learning experiences and readiness skills, helping each child acquire a feeling of self-fulfillment. Effort is made to help further the social emotional, intellectual, physical and spiritual growth of each child in a safe, nurturing environment. A Catholic Christian perspective is incorporated in all aspects of PreK life.
Young children become increasingly skilled as communicators during these first years of school. The school environment encourages all forms of communication – listening, speaking, reading and writing. Activity areas are set up to accommodate groups of varying sizes, promoting interaction and communication among children.
Our PreK classes allow the teachers to be attuned to each student’s emotional life and to help him/her develop effective strategies to best communicate those emotions. Simultaneously, children are encouraged to recognize and appreciate the feelings and ideas of others. Literature and books are a central part of every school day. Literature is used to expose children to the joys of reading and storytelling. It also enhances the school’s integrated curriculum, reflects the interests and needs of the children, and exposes them to the conventions of language and reading.
The PreK program maintains specific objectives:
* To build a sense of self-awareness and positive self-concept in each child
* To develop creative and intellectual abilities
* To develop manipulative skills (scissors, crayons, glue, play dough, pencils, puzzles)
* To develop large/small motor coordinationTo afford an opportunity to relate with peers
* To participate in play experiences
* To develop readiness skills necessary for successful achievement in basic skill areas